View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Moving to Reaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Ahhh...
Mono tracks.. if you place mono media on a track.. say, a mono sine wav.. it is actually being sent to BOTH channels. Using the "balance" control will simply determine how much is sent to each. To make it pseudo-mono, one would need to "re-wire it" under the hood, but even then the source track remains.. 2 channels, minimum. I am Autistic, so in my mind, this is similar to.. well, maybe like when a computer receives an illegal operation. If that computer could get frustrated, imagine hitting it with this EVERY SINGLE TIME the app is used. Sort of like when someone does the "I'm not touching you" game, over an dover, and over..

As for the Aux In thing..
I want to send the absolute output from a track to another track. I do not want to output the track to hardware. This is not possible in Reaper. While *they* suggest simply "disconnecting" the output of the track and utilizing a post fader (post pan) send.. it is still a send, and NOT an output. See above computer (poorly written) metaphor/analogy. I could actually deal with this if I could get proper panning and mono tracks.

And, as for the Sends thing... yes, as you describe and use it, it does suck. If I were doing your work in that manner, it would be an addition to my "illegal operation" bits of frustration, lol.
OK, I still don't totally understand how the mono thing is different, since if you have a mono track in ProTools and you send it to the master output, it is still sending the signal to both the Left and Right master channel, and if you are talking about routing to other tracks, than I just don't understand why it matters. Not to say that there isn't a reason for it to matter, I just don't see it.

As for the sends, I again don't quite understand how it won't do what you want it to do. Every track by default sends to the master output, but by deselecting the parent track button in the I/O window, it no longer does that. If you make a send from that track to another track, it does exactly what you describe. The only difference I can see is how it is labeled. You don't see the "send" from the track to the master fader, but it is still there, and as I understand it, works exactly the same way as the sends assignments work.

Alternatively (and this probably doesn't work the way you want, or you would be using it) you can just make whatever track you want to send to a folder, and put your original track within that folder, which makes it send by default to that folder track and nowhere else.

Again, I don't mean to imply that you don't have valid points, I just don't see how Reaper is not doing what you want it to do already, or how the subtle differences between what you want and what it does have any real world implications.