View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Will there be an Avid S2

My Initial Excitement
Avid S1 and Pro Tools Dock combination as a possible replacement for my Artist Control is officially over
The time between the announcement and shipping dates has given me time to reflect on what I and users like me really need.

The Long Wait
I have been waiting for 10 years for solution for us artists that is comparable to the 003/Artist Control and I am still waiting.

The thought of:
  • Purchasing 2 overpriced iPads - can't we just have built in screens?
  • App Store updates
  • 2 separate power supplies - I want less cables not more
  • Two separate devices -
  • Apple and Avid integration
Leaves too many variables for things to go wrong, new technology we integrate into our workflow should make my life easier but I just can see how this is ultimately the right solution.

I was expecting to see an Avid S2, which would essentially be a Pro Tools Dock with 4 faders from the S1.
Don't get me wrong I love the idea adding this to my set up but I do not feel that this really offers professionals like me who also work from home good value for money.

Why iPads
Using two iPads just seems like overkill for me when I will only be using them with these devices so why not just have built in screens.
What happens when apple decided they want to change the connection port?
A whole product line is dead.

The Short Term
All of a sudden discontinued products like the Command 8 seem like a much more viable option.
I still believe it was one of the best products Digidesign and Avid ever made. Its rock solid built like a tank and has everything I need.

Just Get a Dock?
When shaping sound I like physical controls using an iPad to control faders is just not tactile enough so I cant just use a dock.
The angle of the screen make mixing on it very uncomfortable and is a strain on my wrists.
1 Physical fader is not enough

Going from a Pro Tools Dock to an S4 is not as seamless as just learning the shortcuts on a keyboard.

The Future?
I would hate to see someone else step into the market and take the functionality of some of the lesser brands and repackage them with the sleek stylish elegance or Avid and Apple product for a fraction of the price.
We have already seen what companies like Huawei are doing in the tech industry. Margins are being exposed as the declining cost of production is not being passed on to us customers.

This is not a rant this is just me asking for the Avid S2, please don't make us wait another 10 years...
Mac Pro 2019 (test unit), 2018 MBP 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4,Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB - OSX 10.14.7, Sonnet Echo 11 Thunderbolt 3, Avid Artist Control, SPL SMC, HD Omni, UA Apollo X16, UAD Satellite Octo, NI Komplete Kontrol S49, NI Maschine MK3, Pro Tools Ultimate (19.6.0.370) Eucon 2019.7, Avalon VT-737SP, iZotope RX7, Waves Mercury, Sonnox, SoundToys 5.

Last edited by Digi_User.; 09-01-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: grammatical correction