View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

Ok, enough is enough. I've been suffering these VERY LOUD noise bursts for over a year, and nobody seems to be posting similar conditions, so I've joined the forums.

I can fairly reliably generate a noise burst by opening either Sonnox EQ, or the Avid 7-band EQ and moving the controls around during playback (usually a frequency or gain control). It doesn't always happen, but I can demonstrate the fault by moving the controls more wildly and vigourously. The noise burst lasts 'til I stop playback, then takes a few seconds to dissipate.

No other plugin or conditions have caused the noise bursts, it has nothing to do with mute breakpoints, or specific audio regions.

The bursts will usually peak the master at over +300dBfs sometimes as high as +700dBfs (so it's clipping very hard at the DA converter), but with the gain structure I usually work with, these are really loud, and often leave me with temporary threshold shift in my hearing. I've (touch wood) not damaged my speakers yet!

They sound like very distorted playback (i.e. not quite white noise, although with that much clipping, it's not far off).

My go-to workaround is to mute my monitor controller every time I edit an EQ parameter, and I've even resorted to not using those two plugins except when I have to (Sonnox was my main channel EQ).

System is a Mac Pro 5,1 (Late 2010) running PTHD 12.5.2 via HD Native PCIe connected to a Digidesign 192, but I'm using external converters (Mytek & Lucid).

HELP!