View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

Well, I gotta crash, early morning tomorrow esp. with daylight savings time change and all. Seeing what the full "big brother" feature list is and then seeing the subsets helps me understand what's missing without thinking too hard about what should be in a DAW. But I will start with this and probably add more tomorrow:

1) is there a list of instruments and plugins that comes bundled with the different versions of PT? (A link here will suffice.) Is there anything as an M-Powered user you wish you had?

2) what's the story i'm hearing with no latency compensation for recording or plugin delay compensation for insert plugs? is that true? is it a problem for real-world? if so, is it something that is going to be addressed in a point release or is this something that is intentionally left out (and why)?

3) How is PT M-Powered with multicore CPU utilization? Does it balance softsynths and buss/insert plugin effects across the CPUs evenly? (When you have a heavily loaded project and bring up Task Manager, do you see all 4 of your cores evenly loaded or do you max out on one and the others are at 2%?

4) I noticed PT8 comes with 8GB of loops. But I got worried when I saw that it comes with Torq DJ. Does that mean you have to rewire in an app to handle loops elegantly, or can PT do the kinds of automatic auditioning and inserting (beat-stretching, pitch shifting) of sampled loops like Acid? Or can PT do this natively?

5) The internal native plugs--are these "pro quality" (e.g., as good as you might get from Waves, Sonnox native plugs) or are they just there to fill out the checkboxes?

6) General question--is there anything you wish PT8 M-Powered did that LE and HD do?