View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Genelec 1030s\' vs Mackie 824s\' (opinions)?

Hi,

I used both, the 824's and the 1030's for different projects. To my ears the 1030's deliver cripsper high's, leaning almost towards the harsh side. Also the stereo-projection is somewhat narrower than on the mackies. However, as stated above, the all-important mid range (including the problematic transition range of the frequency separating filter at around 2K) is more forward and easier to judge. Since this is often more important than the extreme lows and highs, the Genelecs are suited well for this kind of applications.

Regarding hearing fatigue I prefer the Mackies; they are very pleasant because of the wider stereo field and the lesser highs (with the roll-off engaged). However, the mixes on them translate sometimes with slight problems in the 100-140Hz range.

In the end it is your taste and the compromises you are willing to accept. However, judging a (good) monitor takes some time; at least a week or two (I for one need more than that . The long-term acceptance of a monitor stays a secret to me and is really a personal decision. If you can firstly rent either of these for one or two projects, go for it.

Daniel