View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Re: D-Command replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Hi all!

Question for the D-Command users here. When and if the time comes to replace your D-Command, what would replace it with? Seems like there is no current lateral move offered by Avid. S3 is clearly a step down and the S6 is an expensive step up.
Definitely the S6 M10. A 16 fader M10 is more expensive but roughly in the same ballpark as a 24 fader D-Command. An M40 with displays is massively more expensive. The displays look fantastic but personally I don't miss something I've never had! 16 faders sounds like a downgrade but the way VCA spill, Layouts and Track View session navigation on the touchscreen work is impressive. You might not even miss 8 faders. However, if you want the S6 to behave like a D-Command with dedicated EQ and Dynamic sections you may want to add two Knob Modules and use them in "Expand" mode. Unfortunately this would bump up the price quite some way beyond a 24 fader D-Command.

When I looked at moving from a C|24 to the S3 two years ago, I felt the S3 was a significant downgrade in many respects. I haven't followed how the S3 has developed since though.