View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Avid buys Euphonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
My point that you don't even know who Mutt Lange is, or why keeping Euphonix alive is important to the audio industry as a whole. You have to look outside the box - the entire audio industry can't be formatted to your individual needs.

I'm not saying that your opinions aren't valid, but do you have any other reasons for coming to the DUC other than to complain about what you don't have? If you hate Pro Tools so much, why do you use it? If you think Avid is unworthy of your hard earned cash, then why spend it on their products if you think there is so much else that is superior?

Regardless about how you feel, Avid is still a corporation with a corporate business plan. They can't operate like a small business and cater directly to their customers, it's simply impossible. If you don't believe me, then there's nothing I can say to make you feel otherwise, I'm just trying to open your mind a bit. I don't disagree that PT has its limitations, but for me and my colleagues they are mostly trivial. And like you said, there are PLENTY of other options that are superior in their own way. So use them, by all means. I like Pro Tools, and I use different versions, editions and across multiple platforms almost on a daily basis, with virtually no issues. At my workplace, I've been getting a Euphonix CS2000 console running, which I absolutely love. This isn't a simple little control surface, either... it's a legendary console that is still used in many high end studios to this day, and has been used by many legendary producers and engineers. To me, Euphonix going down, would be like SSL or Neave going down.

As far as your opinion in their stock dropping over the past few years... have you only been watching Avid's stock? EVERYONE's stock went down over the past couple years. This is what happens in a recession. Regardless of that, I can't think of a single corporation that hasn't had a period of time that proved challenging or even a bit misleading to their client base. Apple is one of the best examples of that. In the late 90s, it looked like they were all but bankrupt, and now they are the biggest player in Audio/Portable Media in the world, easily. They clearly were able to restructure their business plan, but I can safely guarantee you that they do not have any better customer support nor do they cater directly to their userbase. It was Apple after all, who dropped support so quickly for PPC. They've done a few silly things like dropping all the FW400 ports from their Macs, and a few other things that I haven't been too impressed with as well. It doesn't mean I think they don't want to make money. There isn't a corporation in the world who's business plan doesn't involve making MORE money every year. That's capitalism in the free market. It's how the economy works. It's not a conspiracy, it's fact. While I agree that Avid has been slow to provide certain features in PT... to me they are still features, and the software is FAR from unusable without them.

All I'm saying is take a good look at how corporations work before criticizing their business plan. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other companies out there who will welcome your money. It's not a secret, and no one is out to destroy themselves. If Avid doesn't come around, they WILL fail. Fact. I'm sure that isn't in their mission statement.
I would respond with great reason to every one of these points but I'm now bored and frankly it's this kind of thinking that keeps avid and digi from listening to their customer base - hey look some of the dudes are happy -