View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

So I did a full install on my colleague's 2018 Mini for his new studio build. PT HD 12.8.3 (that's as far as his licence goes), 10.14.2, 32GB RAM, 256GB Storage (with a 1TB Samsung TB3 SSD externally). HDX card in a Sonnet Echo Express III-D.

Everything with the computer has been pretty much seamless, once I got to grips with all of the new security requirements in Mojave. We're running a Focusrite Red 16Line hooked up to HDX and also TB3 (for the control software). I did an 8 hour session last week with no issues at all. We've also now installed UAD (With a Quad card in the Echo Express). I'm very happy with results so far.

In fact, the only slight fly in the ointment is that sometimes when we start up, PT tells us that the fan on the HDX card is working. Looking around these parts and elsewhere, it seems that this can happen when the chassis and card are still a bit too cold - his studio is currently about 10 degrees before he turns the heating on. Anyone else seen this in this configuration?

I'd definitely say that 2018 Mini is a good buy for Pro Tools. If you're going to upgrade anything, make it the RAM. The premium for storage upgrades is scandalous. The RAM slightly less so. You can get it upgraded at an authorised repairer, but no idea if they'll install non-Apple approved RAM so savings may be marginal or non-existent.