View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Avid

Default Re: How to improve performance of VI's in Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthtunz View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while and now I have some questions.

Like many people, I'm not always able to have multiple drives with my
macbook, so wondering about partitioning.

So partitioning your boot drive and using the non boot partition to hold
your air content(samples) will that help at all?
No, it won't. Using the same drive that your OS uses results in 'data contention' where the OS is trying to access data on the drive at the same time as your VI. In those cases, the OS will almost always take priority, resulting in errors with the VI.

Quote:
Ok so lets say you have an external firewire drive, can you partition that and use one half for audio and the other for samples/content?
Yes and no - yes in that you *could* do it but, again, it could result in data contention if Pro Tools is trying to access audio data and the VI is trying to get sample data. It's all about throughput - if the drive is capable of delivering all the necessary data on time, it'll be fine. If not - you'll get errors. The reason you're separating the data is that so that data access is spread amongst multiple drives and will lower the amount of data needed from each drive.

Quote:
Lastly I should not use my usb drive for anything with protools correct?
I was thinking maybe I could use it to hold my air content/samples?
Thanks!
USB is only recommended on Windows 7 and Pro Tools 9. If you're on a Mac or using Pro Tools versions prior to 9, you should be using an internal SATA drive or FireWire drives.