View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Display Counter Jitter

In case trashing the font cache did not work.. and I'd try trashing prefs in Pro Tools again, make sure you get everything.

---

So I did a little more playing around (I worked at Adobe, love typography)...

As far as I can tell the font used for the standard counter is just plain old Arial regular and for the large counter is just Arial Bold. Sensible choice by Avid for cross Mac/PC platform work. Pro Tools bundles custom fonts for musical scoring inside the Pro Tools app package, but apparently not for the counters.

While these counter fonts appear monospace/fixed width in Pro Tools, and there are monospaced/fixed width versions of Arial, those monospaced versions are not installed in Macs or Windows PCs by default. So that shoots down my idea this is a simple missing monospaced font. Pro Tools will manually position the proportional width fonts to make them look like a fixed width.

It might be possible that Pro Tools is not finding Arial and getting all upset. I can't guess what the font is in use in the video, it's pretty fuzzy, I'm not 100% sure it's not Arial. A high quality screen shot, not video, showing lots of different digit characters, might be intersting for curiosity reasons.

The Arial (Regular and Bold) font are stored in /Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf Do not try to mess with that file directly.

I would be very surprised if that file is missing.

You can open the mac font utility /Applications/Font Book.app", click on the top level "Arial"in the font list to select it and then in the on the top "Arial" font the font list tree and choose validate font. Actually while there shift-click on all the fonts to select them all and validate them all.

Again, I'm curious what that says.

Next thing I'd try is is use Font Book.app to reset the default system fonts.

In the Font Book.app top menu bar try File>Restore Standard Fonts...

You will get a serious seeming warning

"Restoring the standard system font configuration will remove any nonstandard fonts from the system font database. Proceed?"

click Proceed
Enter your password when prompted

(it will *not* remove other fonts used by standard applications).

---

reboot the mac, test.

If that is not it the next things to look at may be more painful that just trying a full clean macOS install.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-26-2019 at 09:28 AM.