View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Hardware firmware support plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
What makes you think you cant just pay for a support plan and by doing so you get the upgrade?
I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it, but the new plan requires a yearly support plan in place continuously to receive upgrades and if you let it lapse there is currently no way to purchase an upgrade. AND currently if you own hardware that is covered by that support plan you can't sell it, as in no transfer of ownership. Finally, no one can purchase PT HD software without also buying at least a Native card and an Omni, i.e. an entire system.

Now currently, as you have pointed out, they have not announced a remedy for this conundrum. The best we have is an 'unofficial word' that it will come sometime before the end of the year.

If they make the announcement that all PT HD owners can proceed as you have stated, I'd be good to go with that... i.e. 2016 rolls around and I choose not to upgrade, i.e. not purchase the support plan and late in 2016 they announce PT13 and it has some new features I really want then I can choose to engage in the service contract to get that, then I may choose to take advantage of that.

On the other hand, if they decide to keep the policy at it currently stands, if I don't purchase a service contract I have no way to upgrade in the future unless I purchase a new full HD system (software AND hardware).

That in itself doesn't necessarily piss me off, what pisses me off is that I'm supposed to wait with my investment in the balance going forward until THEY decide to clear up the ambiguity.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.