View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Hard Drive Choices in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Booting and opening applications, the difference between SATA SSD and Nvme is negligible, almost the same. It's the increase in access time that helps boot time the most, having to grab lots of different files from the drive. But the difference between a spinner and SATA SSD is absolutely massive.

However, loading sample libraries the speed difference becomes more obvious and beneficial. Of course the trade off, is NVMe storage costs more. Personally, I have NVMe as boot drive, scratch disk for heavy data workloads, along with sample libraries I use on the daily (basically, pt instruments). Then I have a large SSD for samples I don't use as often (Kontakt Library etc), another SSD for current session projects, and then 4x HDD NAS for master backup of files. Don't forget your cloud backup!!!

OK. I didn't realize the difference between NVMe and SSD was negligible for the system. I use NVMe for my boot drive and NVme/SSD for audio and samples.