View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Diving Deeper with EQ on S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Happy New Year!

For this TOD I wanted to dive a bit deeper into controlling EQ plug-ins on the console. For this example, we are using the new Pro-Q3 plug-in from Fabfilter which is quite excellent. Let's discuss the various ways to get your hands on an EQ plug-in from the S6:

Channelstrip: A Vertical orientation, traditional console-style view capable of displaying the most controls in the least amount of real estate. If you've got a 5-knob configuration, you can see controls for 2-bands of EQ per strip at a time. With a 9-knob configuration, you've got 4-bands per strip, before you start hitting the Page buttons. I recommend enabling the preference under Settings > User for Reverse Function Pages for 5-Knob Strips so that the orientation starting on the first page builds from the Low Band, and up to High Band, then ending with Filters and I/O.

Expand: A Horizontal orientation, single page, dedicated and predictable, with fixed columns of data representing each individual band. Expand view is definitely recommended if you are just getting your bearings on the console. Having a single page with fixed parameters translates into a consistent interface regardless of how many bands the Avid or 3rd Party plug-in you choose happens to have.

Insert Parameters: When accessing an EQ plug-in (in Expand or Channel view) from Inserts View (Teal) -> then diving into Insert: Parameters View, you have the ability to access advanced parameters populated by the plug-in manufacturer that are not otherwise accessible from the dedicated EQ views. Fabfilter Pro-Q3 now offers dynamics control for each of the 24 EQ bands in the plug-in. The Expanded Insert Parameters pagetable for this plug-in (Teal) offers interleaved columns of EQ Bands (1-24) with their associated Dynamics controls paired together. This allows you to access Dynamic Range, Threshold and Dynamics enable functions for each of the different EQ bands.

As always, every 3rd Party Developer is responsible for their own implementation of the pagetables which inform the S6 on how to display the parameters from the EQ plug-in. Fabfilter has done an excellent job of formatting their Pro-Q3 plug-in for both compatibility and advanced control.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu03r2e7ga...10319.MOV?dl=0

Hi Jeff.
Nice.
I just got ProQ3, love it.
May I ask, in your 24 band example there, had you made a 24 band “default template”, or if in plugin view, are they all just there ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~