Thread: .FXP files...
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Re: .FXP files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiekazu2 View Post
I recently bought a Midi pack of sound files ....i was going to generate chord progressions to practice over......they came with .FXP files...in short ...how do i use these or load them...my understanding is they are Rhythm and Note info for the Midi files ... Newbee problems i know......i have PT11 on a Windows 7 - 64bit

If I'm not mistaken, and FXP file is neither MIDI nor Audio, but stores the parameters for a specific plugin or virtual instrument. From what you're saying I think you're confusing MIDI files, which ALWAYS come with the extension MID (ex: filename.mid) with program files, which is what FXP is. If you have a certain VI, the individual patches either from the VI developer or ones you create are stored as FXP files (ex: patchname.fxp). There are other formats that different VI's used, but FXP is a popular format.

These FXP files are likely specific to a specific VI. So, I don't think you got a MIDI pack of sound files, what you most likely got was a patch library for a VI. Which one, I don't have any way to know. If its one you already have, then you can play those sounds on that VI however you normally play that VI. Just be sure your VI can locate the patches on your drive. Some require that any patch libraries are located in a specific folder on your system. Others allow you to point the VI to wherever the patch library resides. Without knowing which VI you're dealing with, I can't tell you how yours works. You'll need to check the manual on that.

Hope this helps a bit.