View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Is the current Macbook Air acceptable as a B machine for Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I occasionally use my very old (2013) Macbook Air for day-long remotes (up to 16 tracks, 96k) and it's been absolutely flawless; TB hub to hook up to two Metric Halo ULN8s via ethernet, external drives, display, and an Artist Mix - makes a great little remote machine. I have even occasionally opened medium sessions on it (50 tracks / 96k, modest plug in count) and it's been fine. It couldn't be my primary machine by a long shot, but for low track count sessions and smaller mixes it's been very handy to have around.
Yes.. if you’re doing all the A/D outside of the Air (Dante or MADI from an A/D box or even simply USB where the A/D is done in one of the Midas XR18 types of boxes. What’s killed Laptop recording on a lesser computer in the past is relying on the A/D of an ASIO unit hanging right off the computer.

The Midas XR18 has amazing sounding converters. And I can cut 18 tracks without a hiccup from my old MBP late 2011. I expect it will be just as doable thru a new Air.

Thanks for your input, Rich!