View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Recording a Dry Signal

That is a variation of the FX loop. I was not thinking of that exactly, and unfortunately the signal is unbalanced, but it will work. Personally just because I like balanced signals I'd do this with the FX Loop. But yes this counts as way #8!

#8. Amp 1 and Amp2 outputs...

You need to play around and learn. And in the process you might try several different ways and pick what works best for you. If you want to start by trying Amp 1 and/or Amp2 outputs then plug a 1/4" TR cable (or TRS cable) into the Amp1 output. Connect the other end to one of the line (not mic) inputs on your mixer. On the Eleven Rack front panel work out how to use the User Options menu "Output to amps" screen to set the Amp1 output point in the chain. If you put it at the rig input then that output to your mixer will be the dry guitar, or you can put it at the amp input, amp output or rig output. You can do the same independently for the amp2 output on the back panel of the Eleven Rack and say put Amp1 output at the beginning (dry) and Amp2 output at the end of the chain (wet). But that wet output will only be mono. And if you want a stereo wet signal then just take taking the Main outputs of the Eleven Rack to a pair of line inputs on the mixer. The dry signal will be low level, you need to turn up the gain/zoom in in Pro Tools to make sure you see and hear it. And be aware that Amp1 and Amp2 outputs have separate level controls adjusted in the Eleven Rack "output block" in the rig chain. Have the user guide open in front of you as you do this. All the info is right there.

Get one thing working at a time. Like just get the wet signal connected from the Eleven rack to the mixer and into the DAW first, then the dry signal and then you can worry about how to get outputs from the mixer going to the Eleven Rack for reamping. If you have a real guitar amp handy you can plug the amp1 or amp2 outputs into its guitar input and play with that to learn how the settings for amp1 and amp2 work.

But again if you just want to track guitar say against some prerecorded backing tracks I would do that by switching to the Eleven Rack as an interface.