View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Default 96 KHz performance on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Machine?

Hi Duc,
I am a proud owner of a new Mac Pro 2.66 GHz machine. I can't tell you how happy this has made me!

I am currently working on a really tough mixing project, and my Dual 450 G4 (altghough I love it still) just wasn't hacking it. I found myself having to group tracks and apply plugin parameters globally in order to conserve CPU usage, and the project was suffering. It's so nice to have a machine where plugin usage isn't even an issue- I can use as many as I want (it seems) and the System Usage meter barely even blinks.

Not that I'm a huge plugin user to begin with, but it's great to be able to open a bunch of different ones and use them sparingly if I want to, without worrying about the ultimate overall CPU hit. This has helped my project immeasurably, as I'm able to now to focus on individual track processing instead of groups! Also, I can run a few different reverbs!! The result is that the whole mix sounds so much more open and spacious- I never thought life could be like this!

Anyway, I digress, but I just wanted to share in my glee.

I have a friend who has an HD project he recorded at 96KHz, and he would like to do some prelim mixing on my setup. I'm not sure how many tacks it is (I think probably around 20-24), and I'm wondering if anybody has experience running a session like this on one of these machines. I always run 44.1 KHz/24 bit, and have never used 96KHz. Anyway. here are my specific questions:

1. Will my new machine be able to handle 24 tracks at 96 KHz?
2. If so, will I be able to run more than 5 plugins!??
3. Will I have any problems clocking and monitoring at this rate through my Rosetta 200 via SPDIF?
4. Will there be any problems importing an HD session to LE and then exporting back to an HD setup for final mixing?

If anybody can give me a few pointers, I would greatly appreciate it. As always, I bow to your infinite wisdom and experience, oh DUC...

Cheers,
Andrew