View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Re: macOS 10.14 Mojave and “cheese grater” Mac Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
He is referring to the "boot screen" which is the grey screen with the Apple logo and has a progress bar. You will not see that if you do not have a EFI capable GPU. It will be black until the OS loads

So I have a question due to your comment. Are you able to access the boot volume screen by holding down the option key during start up?

What you described as sometimes having a black screen until the OS has loaded, and sometimes seeing the grey screen and loading progress bar, sounds conflicting. The grey screen is the boot screen so how come it shows up randomly? My understanding is it's either always or never. The 5770 is the stock card for your cMP so it should always be showing a boot screen. Unless you have a 4K monitor hooked up, meaning you have a resolution or using a protocol that isn't compatible, such as DP 1.4 but it can only use up to DP 1.1 or 1.2. Then I could understand why it's not displaying the boot screen at times (due to user settings).
I have always been able to access the boot volume screen with this computer (as he knocks on wood). That's part pf my procedure when I do my clones/backups. I option boot into the drive I cloned to to make sure the clone works and then I boot back in to the main drive. My system drive is a Samsung 850 EVO on an OWC pcie adapter card

QAPLA!