View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: ATTN Focusrite OctoPre users, i need your opinion

I'm using one now and I love it. The pad thing does stink, but I haven't really had the need for them yet. I do have line attenuators that I could insert before the inuputs if I needed to (still, it would be a pain having to do that). If you overload the pre the limiter will not save you. If you have a good signal and the pre isn't overloaded, then the limiter will catch overs (though I try to avoid it and keep an unaltered signal). Best advice - never overload a clean pre like that in the first place. The limiter is useful and the compressor is too - pretty smooth for one control. I'd be careful what you use the compressor on, however. I found it works great on vox, acoustic guitar, and bass. On transients I'd only use the limiter as a safety.

Ah yes, the $200 card. Well, you gotta have it if you want additional tracking abilities. We bought our Octopre through Sweetwater, and they installed/warranteed the work for $30. It was worth it IMO.

rockrev

BTW - We have some older Focusrite Green Range gear - the Octopre sounds just as good - even better b/c of the higher caliber converters. You won't be sorry.