Thread: Why AAX?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Why AAX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Surely the effort to translate between different formats of presets files is less than the effort to write a whole new plug in format, and translate all your existing plugins to that new format, don't you think?
It depends on the SDK Avid has given developers.

However, in the webcast, they claimed 100+ devs were already on board with 25 developers showcasing AAX plugins at this AES show. This isn't something they are suddenly springing on the industry.

Quote:
Again, my point exactly. Avid wants to sell more DSP cards. So they make all the developers rewrite their code, and they make all their users — even those of us that don't use DSP acceleration — upgrade their plugins.
Of course, it's in any hardware company's best interest to make new hardware, and subsequently new software to support it. This means 64 bit, freeze tracks and offline rendering, and other benefits achieved with rewriting the codebase for Pro Tools.

Quote:
Honestly, though, I probably wouldn't be bitching about this if the LE upgrade were $100 instead of $300. I just feel like Avid is acting for their own bottom line much more than for the benefit of their users.

~peter in oakland
I agree 100%. I'm not at all convinced by their current pricing structure... but we will have trade-ins and other bundles to look forward to.

I know this isn't the update everyone was hoping for, but it's a huge step in the right direction. Once the userbase gets over the growing pains, we'll see a lot more evolution of the software.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515