View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm not the OP but I can speak to this.
I have several types of converters in the studio- 16 channels of Avid MTRX, 16 channels of Ferrofish Pulse 16 DX CV, 32 channels of Focusrite Dante (2 x A16R), a Red 16 Line and a UA Apollo X8.

Ferrofish are excellent and expandable- you could add a Pulse 16 MX to a DX for example and double your ADA channel count (connecting them over MADI) cheaper than buying another Pulse 16 DX.

The routing matrix in the Ferrofish converters is excellent.
The 'on paper' audio spec is slightly below other converters I have but I will be damned if it makes any difference to how they sound.
The only 'non-pro' aspect to them is the external power supply but as I say in the review I'll be glad of that if the power supply ever fails as it can be easily replaced.
A bit of velcro and a few cable ties sorted out the wiring messiness due to the external PS in a few mins.

You can read my review of it here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...6-dx-cv-review

The Focusrite A16R fan is annoying in the control room.
They sound great and the only issue for me is the fan noise.
I use them for 32 channels of outboard as hardware inserts so I only turn them on when mixing.

I might end up selling the A16R's at some point and replace them with something fan-less but it isn't my top priority.
That might be a couple of Pulses or it might be a Lynx Aurora n.

Lynx are more expensive of course and sound terrific.

I reviewed that converter here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...urora-n-tested

Hope this helps.
Thanks James that’s very helpful and great reviews! None of the Ferrofish “cons” bother me and I would imagine the quality of conversion would be fine for my requirements. I’ll be using it for piping in hardware synths, drum machines etc. and the CV capability is an unexpected bonus.

I’m sure the Lynx is amazing but it’s literally double the cost for 32 channels. The Ferrofish is also cheaper per channel than the Focusrite units. My studio is effectively silent now with the exception of occasional HDX card fan noise so I was a bit hesitant about the Focusrite.

Just one quick question - does the Ferrofish interface well with synths/drum machines in terms of level? Most stuff I have is quite hot on the outputs but is there enough gain available to cover quieter synth outputs?