View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Message

ANSWERS!!

I has the same problem with my drives when I first got my new MBP 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo - the internal laptop drive and all of my LaCie d2 drives, all properly formatted to Mac OSX Extended (Journalled) were ALL apparently incompatible with PT. They would only allow to be set to Transfer, but not to Playback or Record.

A few email from Digi support recommended the usual nonsense - reformat drives etc.. I did reformat one drive (as it was empty), and it made NO difference!! Then I was told it was probably cos my new laptop wasn't yet qualified and so probably incompatible. Yeah right...

THE SOLUTION IS: first move all third-party plugins and settings to a temporary folder, then completely uninstall ProTools using the UnInstaller that came on the CD. After uninstalling, use Spotlight to find any pref files etc the uninstaller may have missed and trash them. Then re-install ProTools and update to the current version. It then all WORKS FINE!

My new MBP came with a FW800, and I use a FW410 interface for my audio with PT-MP. So I bought a $64 SIIG 2-port FW400 Expresscard/34, hoping to use this for my FW410 while keeping the FW800 port for the LaCie drives.

IT DOESN'T WORK! Well it does, but only a 400mb/s.. As soon as the SIIG card is inserted, even though it creates a second separate FW bus, it still takes the speed og the 800 port down to 400, because there's only one FireWire controller on the MBP's logic board.
So the answer is - get a SATA ExpressCard/34, SATA enclosures and SATA drives (getting cheap now), and keep the FireWire free for your audio interface.

cheers,

nG