View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Re: My Workaround for Scrub with Track in Record Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
HI Timothy

TThanks for your reply - that bit I get and am au fait with, not quite sure how the solution works though...

cheers
Ok!
While scrubbing the record armed track "#RTD#" will not play a sound.
Therefore I have added a new bus: "*scrub", which has the same input as "#RTD#".
As the "*scrub" bus is sent to "Out 1+2", it will play during scrubbing.
But, it obviously will play during playback as well, which we don't want.

Therefore I have a "scrbsnwvfr" track, that holds a sine wave. That signal is fed into the sidechain compressor on the "*scrub" bus. The compressor will push down the volume of the "*scrub" bus, whenever it receives the signal. That means, during playback, the compressor will get the signal and mutes the bus. During scrubbing, the signal is not played, therefore the compressor will not work at all.

But as the compressor needs a short while to react, I've added the gate. So, during playback, the bus "*scrub" receives the same signal as "#RTD#". The gate opens after 71ms, which is just enough time for the sidechain compressor to receive the sine wave signal, to start working to push down the volume. Which means, during playback the "*scrub" bus stays silent.

While scrubbing, the "#RTD#" will stay silent. The "*scrub" bus gate will open after 71ms, and as the signal will not play during scrubbing, the sidechain compressor will not start to push down the volume. This makes it possible to hear the scrubbed material.

Hope this explains it better
Timothy