View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
It's interesting that everyone is focusing on talking about the benefits 64Bit would bring to using VI's when that is only one of the advantages of a 64Bit system and probably not even the biggest advantage.

Being able to load larger parts or even a whole program (hell maybe even two) into the virtual memory of a system will mean a much smoother & faster workflow. So for professional studios particularly, this will have a huge impact. Whilst the first version of PT10 may or may not have that full capacity to start with, it is the direction modern computing is heading.
The RAM disc thing is not much use to me, but if I am using multiple reverbs, the amount of memory used by the IRs, together with used by copious automation, does get rather large, so in that case 64bit could be very handy. Mind you, when VE Pro 5 comes out it this will be less important, because I will be able to host the memory hungry plugs outside of Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Now that 64Bit operating systems are gaining consumer momentum, the motherboards aimed at the consumer market are increasingly upping the ante with it not being uncommon to see mobo's with 128GB+ RAM capabilities already on the shelf. Most surprisingly systems with that capability are relatively cheap, at least for those who are capable of stitching a computer together themselves.

Those who don't see 64Bit programs as a big deal are speaking purely out of ignorance in not knowing how much of a potential improvement, not just to Pro Tools, it will bring. I say potential because it depends on what Avid/Adobe/Microsoft etc do with their own programs.
I wonder whether we will end using such a large amount of memory. The amount of time that it would take to load is enormous, and I think that for many people SSD would be much more convenient. Not only would things load faster, but in the case of Virtual Instruments the pre-load buffer wouldn't need to be anywhere near as big (in some cases) so the memory usage could be reduced, rather than increased.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card