View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 AM

Default Cinema Chains - sadness at poor levels

Dear all

I took two kids (both7) to see Pirates, the new Aardman film in the Odeon in Richmond (London).
The playback level was horrendously low and I could regularly hear the cinema next door. Sometimes dialogue was obscured by popcorn crunching. The mix sounded just plain wrong at that level. I was very surprised as the cinema had obviously been upgraded since my last visit and now had digital projection (which did make the adverts sound a whole lot better than the usual optical nonsense)
I went to find the manager afterwards, in a positive way to find out what the playback level was. She was just anxious that she didn't want to refund me as I had watched the film. (which wasn't my point), After summoning "the tech" who claimed to know nothing and wouldn't let me have a look myself "due to health and safety" (poppycock), he eventually backed down from his claims that the entire film is just automated, to admitting the playback level is 4.5. They are allowed to raise it to 5 if complaints occur.

Before I go both guns blazing on a "angry from Twickenham" rant to the Odeon head office, perhaps some of our cinema brethren could educate me a bit more. Once digital film mastering has occurred, and it it in the hands of "the cinema", does it still go through a Dolby cp800 thingumy cinema box with a Dolby fader? Is there any potential to get it right?

By the way, despite piss poor sound replay, the film was total hoot and I can heartily ( no pun intended) recommend it. One of the best Aardman films in years - top drawer for kids and adults!

Cheers

Ps Ironically one old lady complained that the same screening level was too loud, but I think her hearing aids were on nitrous - which didn't help my complaint.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com