View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Latency and system configuration help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecanyon1952 View Post
To answer your question why not put it all on the SSD, I"ve always been told.. 1 drive OS and Programs.... 2nd drive Audio.... (which just may end up being a 2nd SSD (not an PCIE though)...
And for the third time now I'm telling you that is wrong information... when you are dealing with a M.2 PCIe/NVMe drive. The Avid Pro Tools guidance there is brain dead for not explaining this (esp. since it is wrong for most newer Macs used with Pro Tools, and has been for years), I'm fed up of asking Avid to fix it. You will reduce the systems performance/reliability putting audio on a slower second drive.

We've give you lots of information. Pro Tools *is* more complex to get set up than most DAWS. But just do it and learn and it will be second nature. You might as well hammer away on your current system and work out where you are in term of needed performance before launching off and just buying hardware and learning there that there is a lot of setup/optimization to do. Things like running a non-optimized/properly installed system you just should not have ever been wasting your on time trying to do.

You can also do things incrementally. e.g. stuff a PCIe/M.2 adapter card in your current PC, install a 970 Evo M.2 drive on that and do a full clean Windows 10 Pro install on the M.2 drive with Pro Tools. Move the M.2 to your new PC if you decide to buy one.

I'd likely be looking at a high quality interfaces at some point, so I'm with that part of the advice from your engineer friend there on the UAD. But because of that I'm especially cautious about deciding to just buy more computer hardware until you work though all the optimization and troubleshooting and possibly workflow changes (e.g. using track freeze) that can get you going acceptably with what you have now.