Thread: -9173 errors...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Re: -9173 errors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomalibu View Post
Have not tried disabling that because we need these computers to edit video as well. We need all the speed we can get.
Switching it on and off is not a big deal. There is a utility called Turbo Boost Switcher Pro that costs $9,95. This allows you to turn it on and off at the click of a button, or even have it automatically switch boost on when certain apps are open.

Quote:
As users, we should not have to modify internal configurations to our computers that have been set in place by the manufacturers. Turbo boost, hyperthreading etc. if the computer comes with those items on, they are not officially stated by Avid in their optimization guide, there is a reason for such.
It's just basic computer maintenance. It's like maintaining a tape machine. Computers are not set-and-forget, no matter how much Apple would like to convince you of this. As soon as you have a device that can do multiple functions, there will be a certain amount of configuration required to optimise it for your specific needs. A video editor will spec out and set up a computer much differently to someone who records bands.

Quote:
In my opinion because they can have negative effects on other functions of your computer and avid doesn’t want that liability.
Depending on what you're screwing with...maybe...but enabling/disabling turbo boost will have no negative effect on your computer. On the contrary, with turbo boost disabled, you'll be running lower temperatures which will extend the life of your machine.

Quote:
This is a joke, you all will thank us. I’ll have our company attorneys begin pursuing this on Monday.

Additionally Avid will need to compensate all of us for oss of income and business due to these software failures.
Good luck with that. There are plenty of people running Pro Tools not experiencing the problems you're facing, which means it's a configuration/compatibility issue...these issues have existed for 35+ years and are just a given when dealing with computers. There are plenty of reasons to be pissed at Avid, holy **** I am so disappointed with them at this point, but I think you're approaching this from completely the wrong angle. How about that they're selling a subscription model for quicker updates and yet there are more bugs than ever before and many bugs that have existed forever that haven't been fixed yet...ones that don't have anything to do with hardware compatibility, purely software stuff (the CRAZY elastic audio rendering bug comes to mind immediately), or how their online store is pushing people to give up their perpetual licenses to crossgrade to subscription in such a sneaky way that people aren't realising this is happening (there is already a thread here with several people who have discovered they have given up their perpetual licenses without any proper warning...and this is just the people who have actually noticed at this point...I expect a lot of fallout from this in the coming months/years.)