View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Strike Overhead Panning Issues....Bug ?

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong here or if this is a bug of some sort.
The Situation :
Working on a song for a 30 second commercial . I usually record live drums ( which I'm willing to still do )but since I could not turn down the price of PTIEP I decided to give Strike a try . The goal was to print to audio so I could make mixing decisions later. ( plugs not panning )
The Problem :
1. Overheads on Strike do not match panning perspectives of hats/rides . Actually , sometimes it does but only for presets , only in audience perspective which most preset mixes are panned as , and only if you keep it that way . I understand that once I print I'm not changing the panning but I should be able to at least make that decision within Strike .
2. Due to the stereo only outs in Strike ( which forces hard panning of kick outL and snare outR ) if I wanted to print anything ( even a preset of Strike which I'd rather not ) I have to do it in multiple passes to preserve the panning relationship with the room and overheads along with the hats and rides .
3. Even after feeling limited by using one of Strikes preset panning options and the multiple passes workaround ( I printed 1 pass of rooms and overheads and 1 pass of everything else so I could pan hard after and not screw with rooms and overheads ) I then had weird phasing issues when my toms would roll ! I thought phasing issues would be the last of my worries , reserved for bad spaced pairing on a live kit but......
I know this is probably because of my multiple passes but I can't figure out why ? I didn't change the buffer of anything between passes.

Since Strike has so many features and can be a bit daunting at first the way that I chose to approach it was to try to completely mimic a live drum performance that I previously recorded to test drive / get a workflow / get some user kits n mixes set , ect. I took the best sounding live kit that I've recorded and began duplicating the sound the best I that I could . Everything was going great ! Strike is pretty amazing . I was mimicking to the degree of how much bleed was going to the kick . Brilliant ! Until I got to the overheads . I wanted to set up the panning in drummers perspective. I then noticed that when you pan the hats to the left ( drummers perspective ) the signal sent to overheads stay at the audience perspective . When I did the same thing to the Room channel it worked perfectly meaning panning hats to left moved where the hats were on the room channel as well . So I know now that Strike should intelligently change but it doesn't seem to do this on the overheads . If you open presets you'll see that most of them are mixed in audience perspective . If you find a few that are mixed in drummer perspective you'll notice that the overheads do not match .
When it comes to printing , like I said above I suspect that I have phasing issues because of multiple passes but can anyone tell me how to get around have to do so ? The example is if I have to route
kick-out1 ( hard left ) snr out 1 ( hard right )
then by the time I get to overhead routing everything is screwed up . except for the hi hats which seem to be stuck at 50% panned R ( audience ) So it made sense to me to print OH and room first ( so long as audience perspective ) and then re pan everything to individual outs and re pan once in pro tools to copy panning in Strike .
This all seems ridiculous but I also know that sometimes I can be ridiculous as well so could someone please let me know if I'm missing something about Strike that's making this co confusing ? I ask b/c other then that everything else seems to be working great ! I haven't had the midi export troubles and such that other have had but these 2 issues were def show stoppers .....at least for a moment.....I ended up recording live drums .
Any insight would be greatly appreciated . Thanks