Thread: VEPro questions
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Default Re: VEPro questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Two interesting (for you) parts to this answer.

1) You only need the dongle on the computer running the VEPro server, it is NOT needed on a computer only running a VEPro plugin {which you use to link to the VEPro server(s)}.

So you can run Pro Tools on one computer, AND instantiate the VEPro plugin, without a VEPro license present on that computer (it lives on an eLicenser dongle, not an iLok by the way).

You have the eLicenser dongle plugged in to the other computer, which you are running the VEPro server on.

2) But what if you want to run more than one VEPro server, say one on the same computer as Pro Tools, and another on your other computer? Well you would then need two eLicenser dongles, each with a VEPro on it, so both servers can see a license.

The good news is that when you buy VEPro they give you THREE licenses, so with one purchase you can run three VEPro servers on different computers. Potentially, of course, you could then be running Pro Tools, with VEPro plugins instantiated, on a fourth computer.

The only slight downside is that you only get one license for the Vienna Essentials library that comes with VEPro, so you have to run that on one server, while using the others for your other VI.
Thanks for the explanation as regards where the dongle is needed - a lot clearer than what I've found. I know about the dongle it needs; I find it strange that some s/w needs the physical piece and others can work with either that or the s/w elicenser.

Now to try and suss out the answers to the rest of my questions. I see that Groove 3 has both VEPro5 & VEPro6 courses; bummed that it's Eli Krantzberg's stuff as he leaves out things in his other videos that should really be in there. I also know that Russ from PTE has a video but you have to be a member of his site and I ain't going through that again.

QAPLA!