View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Surround receiver with preamp outputs for monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Why not use unbalanced connections? Yours is a very controlled environment, I hope you don't have much interference, and the line level cable runs are relatively short.
A reasonable question. Here's my completely unreasonable answer:

Years ago when I had a home studio I didn't worry about such things. I just did whatever needed to be done to get things to work together.

As the studio grew, and with it the number of interconnects, I started running into issues with some devices wanting the cold floated (they'd barf if it was grounded), others creating problems with maintaining unity gain through the chain, and the occasional device causing a ground hum. It got annoying enough that one day I made a pledge that I would never be unbalanced again.

(Insert mental health joke here.)

Given the relative simplicity of this setup it really wouldn't matter, but I've been burned before by thinking "Hm, I have a rule about that but I don't remember why..." and later realizing "Oh yeah, THAT'S why!" so I just stick to whatever rules of thumb I've developed over the years, which has mostly kept me out of trouble.