View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Help! I don't want to part with my PT III system & 888's

This hardware with the PT 5.0.1 software and OS9 is a very stable rig. Probably the most stable I've ever used.

I'm sure you know this, but the problems with using it this way are:
  • Latest version of Pro Tools it will work with is 5.0.1(OS9 only)
  • max 16 voices per core card(you can add 1 or 2 more disk i/o's for up to 48 voices)
  • 16 bit audio only
  • Does not support ilok auth plugins, so you must use floppies.
  • Must use dedicated SCSI drive and proprietary cable for audio drive, if using multiple core cards, you need a dedicated drive and cable for each core card.

I think Logic 6 still supported it in DAE mode, but I've never tried it. There was also a core audio driver that would work with disk I/O cores and d24 cores, that I'm pretty sure I had working on a G4 with OSX 10.3, but it would probably be limited to using only one 888. I highly doubt that this card will work with anything newer than that.

Otherwise, you can replace the Disk I/O with a d24 or MIX core, and continue using the DSP farms and 888s with Pro Tools 6.4.1 TDM/OSX 10.3.9. This will give you 64 voices, and 24 bit audio, and let you use any drive you want for audio without the need for a weird cable.

I can't remember if 16 bit 888s will work on the legacy port of a 192 or not, but you might be able to use them in that manner with an HD system as well.

While not incredibly valuable, the DSP farm cards will probably still sell on ebay if you'd like. The Disk I/o card is really only worth something if it includes the SCSI cable, and probably still would take a while to find a buyer for, but I know of at least one studio that still has one of these rigs in use, so someone might want it for a spare.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?