View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Gently Weeping For My Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Let's assume considering what you've said about using it for all those years & recordings it fits you perfectly for both physical and audio and you love the sound. A lot of that sound is in the age of the instrument and to find anything close to it in a new instrument or even just another could be a long journey. For my money I'd get it fixed. It might not be considered a top-notch axe but it works for you. Case point - Willie Nelson just had StewMac do repairs on Trigger (that iconic acoustic he plays). It's HIS sound just as the Tak is yours. If you want to branch out into another sound then that's cool but if you can find a luthier that will do the job & do it excellently then get it done.
I follow StewMac's YT channel (among others) and he certainly did a fantastic job on Trigger. Although I'm convinced Willie has perfectly valid reasons to stick to that tired old 'War Horse' come hell or high water, it doesn't quite work like that for me.

Over the years I have learned not to get too attached to mere objects, whether gear, cars, amps or favorite instruments at the end of the day they are all 'just' tools and can be replaced.

I'm also old enough to have learned my 'sound' is mostly 'me' and not any specific instrument or other piece of kit.

I'm convinced I can walk into any music store and find at least one guitar that will work for me.

If I can find someone to fix the Tak that'll be great, but not at any and all cost.

Which brings us to the proverbial "64GB question";

Quote:
I have to wonder though what caused this to happen? I doubt it was age alone - large humidity change? Did you change strings lately and possibly to a different brand/type/gauge?
It hasn't been on the road for at least a year. Kept at room temperature (20C) humidity at a normal and stable 60/70%. Strings are regular medium light Martins, always tuned down at least a half step. Haven't changed them since the last time I gigged with it.

Last used it just a week or two ago to record a scratch 'Faux Mandolin' part. Not a single indication of anything going awry. No bulge/dip of the cedar top, no string buzz, no wobbly neck. No indication of a crack developing. Nothing.

I remember hearing the distinct little 'ping' of a string setting or stretching the night before but, with over a dozen instruments in the room that is neither a particularly rare or worrying occurrence.

I guess there must have always been a flaw in the rosewood of the bridge and it just took eighteen years to finally suddenly and catastrophically fail.

I've trawled the interwebs for a bit to see if anyone has reported a similar problem but sofar came up with zilch results.

I also wrote to Takamine head office in Japan and included some pictures. See how that turns out.

Quote:
I've been doing my own luthier-type work and it's real easy to muck it up.
I've been there and done that Jack!

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1