View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
I'm continuing to be impressed by this Clarett 4Pre I recently picked up.

The preamps, Air vs non-Air mode, is just wonderful. They are both really, really good. It's just a matter of, do you want warm, or do you want a little brightness added to it. Neither is bad. I've even recorded some acoustic guitar thinking Air was on, being really impressed, then realizing I never turned Air on. Re-tracking with Air on, it wasn't better, just different. It's definitely not over the top or harsh in any way, which is always my fear with these things. One man's air is another man's ice pick.

Latency is also pretty great as advertised. Don't go into this thinking you can track at any old buffer size without latency, because that's just not possible, but 32 and 64 are both pretty much impossible to feel the latency. It starts to creep into your feel at 128, and at 256 is starts having an affect as expected. And 512 and above, you should obviously not expect to monitor in real time if performance could be affected.

I took some measurements in a double loop back test in Pro Tools 12, 44.1kHz. MacBook Pro i7 from 2011. Here are the realtime latency results I got...

Buffer - latency
32 ---- 2.85ms
64 ---- 4.30ms
128 --- 7.23ms
256 --- 13.00ms
512 --- 24.64ms
1024 -- 47.82ms
Agreed! I should have stated that I am tracking with the buffer @ 64. If tracking guitar through 11R, I just set FC mixer to monitor the digital input, so latency isn't a factor there.

I have only had a couple of odd things happen with PT since using it. Twice after closing the session that I was working on, I would exit PT and I'd get a message saying that PT had quit unexpectedly and a report would be sent t Avid. I had already closed everything and was quitting PT anyway.

That's the only issue so far. I trashed prefs, etc. and it hasn't happened since, but who knows.

I am very pleased with mine so far.

Coming from the 003R the improvement in the sound is every evident to me. More detailed, is the best way I can describe it over all. Not brittle bright, and not a brown kind of warm either, IMHO.

Again, THIS is what should have been the next step in the 00X line up. Lots of connectivity, fast, and very good sounding.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |