Thread: S6 Workflow
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 AM

Default Re: S6 Workflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Interesting. I was thinking something different. I'm not sure I would want the last selected insert to automatically expand. In most cases, my last selected insert has already been adjusted, and if I go back to a track, then I'm probably going to adjust a new insert.

I was thinking more of a preference that lets you tell certain category of inserts to automatically expand. For example, every time I press EQ on the process module, it expands to the knob module. But if I press SENDS, I want sends to be collapsed so the first four sends only are shown for each channel in strips. For dynamics, it would expand like the EQ. Each category of plugin would have its own setting for 'auto expand view' or 'channel strip view'. Maybe give the option to 'groups' and 'bus' as well.

Technically the S6 already does a form of this. If I have a dedicated knob module, I could have my EQs expanded every time. But if I assign one of my existing modules to be a dedicated knob module, I loose it for other functions. It's not ideal for a configuration unless you have a dedicated module.

In my typical workflow, if I open an EQ to adjust it, I also want the plugin window to go away when I'm done. With having to press the expand button, it add a bunch of button pushes to the workflow. Example:

1. Press EQ on the process module
2. Press Exp on the process module
3. Adjust EQ
4. Press Exp again
5. Press Sends (mostly just to make the Channel Strip window close on the PT GUI)

That brings up another workflow issue: closing the plugin window. Maybe there is a softkey function for 'close currently targeted window' or something? Sometimes it doesn't close when I feel like it should. But I haven't payed close enough attention to know the circumstances where it does/doesn't.
I think we pretty much want the same thing!!! I'm suggesting there could be a list of Process Module functions in the User preferences on the MTM then it's up to the user to decide which functions "Auto Expand" when you select them on the Process Module. Then in your case you wouldn't select "Auto Expand" for Inserts so it behaves as it does now.

Also perhaps another preference so when you say had an EQ expanded and then select another function on the Process Module, it automatically switches out of Expand so you'd get your Send view again without the extra Exp button press?

Re. your last paragraph. Yeah, I've sometimes though, why is that plug-in window still open. I have the MTM User pref set so PI windows open and close automatically.

Also I think something has changed with regards to plug-in windows automatically opening and closing in Pro Tools. Since v2.2.1 I've been getting an occasional scenario where simply selecting a track in Pro Tools opens a plug in window in PT for that track without even touching the S6!