View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Tempo Mapping and Identify Beat issues

Hi Stig,

thanks, I just tried that. It works, but here's the caveat, it works via Meter rather than tempo, and in doing so rounds the meter. For example taking 5 frames out of a 2 bar 120 bpm passage creates one bar of 4/4 and one bar of 15/16 at 120 bpm, instead of changing the tempo which is what film orchestra conductors and composers do. On Paper it achieves the same goal of moving the content to the right spot, BUT its not musical. Imagine if you are having to perform to this, your count into a new section would be 4 beats minus a 1/16th note, which you wouldn't hear bc click is generally 8th or quarter resolution. Very awkward. The other thing that will have to be in place for this to be successful is for your Movie and its audio track to be in "Sample" time base, and the rest of your session in "Ticks". The Movie and its Audio must be Edit Locked, AND on the "Cut Time" dialogue, "Realign ALL Meter Tempo Key Chord Rulers, All Tick Based Markers and Tracks, and NO Sample based Markers and Tracks" Must be selected

I'd say thanks for the input. This is a fine approach for purely editing, but if you are writing and performing over a tempo map, you need dependable count ins.

For anyone who is following this thread, I'd suggest this as an alternate approach:

Select from previous tempo marker to target frame (eg bar 18 minus 5 frames

Use Identify beat command, and make note of the new tempo in the effected section. Then Undo. Manually insert new tempo at beginning of section in question (eg bar 15). This will move bar 18 to the correct frame without destructive consequences to the rest of the tempo map. Its an extra step but not too much of a pain.

Stig, thanks for being a sounding board!

Best

Matt