View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM

Default Re: D-Command to D-Control

Yes size is definitely a concern that I’m looking into. That’s one of the details that’s making wait for now. I do know of one d-control in my area and hopefully I can get some time in front of it

The one positive aspect of the d-control for me is the width. I have a producer desk on the right side of my d-command that has my keyboard mouse and monitor on it. So I have a really wide d-command. So a 16 fader d-control is actually less wide and would allow for the d-control to push up pretty close to my speaker stands. So I would be about the same distance from my speakers with the d-control as I am with the d-command. However, the depth of the d-control does concern me a bit. In some of the pictures I’ve seen it looks like you almost have to stand up to get to some of the top encoders. That obviously isn’t ideal. I need to sit in front of a d-control and actually work with it to test the erganomics.

I hear you about the faders, I’m kind of on the fence of how much that would be a loss for me. When I use the faders a lot I’m usually using them with VCAs and it’s rare that I have a VCA group that doesn’t fit easily across 10 or 12 faders. And I can usually get around easy enough that I don’t for see having lot’s of issues nudging or banking to quickly find things. You make a good point though and I should really give it some serious thought because I might be taking for granted having 24 and I might really miss them once they’re gone.

Obviously, parts is going to be a concern in the not too distant future. I have to say I’m really impressed with the build quality of my blue d-command. I’ve replaced power supplies and faders and that’s it thus far (I bought it in rough shape needing faders and power supplies). I thought maybe I was having encoder problems but after cleaning ribbon cables all of those problems disappeared. I am a little concerned about the encoders buttons and LEDs but I’ve yet to really have any problems. So knock on wood hopefully that continues. What kinds of failures have you run into Will?, and what are you stockpiling?

I don’t know if the d-control is prone to more maintenance issues maybe it runs hotter?