View Single Post
Old 11-09-2001, 07:31 PM

Default Problem w/ song length when using Pro Tools for mastering....

Help.

I want to bounce one of the tracks in my session to disk and have it come out just the length of that track. I can't seem to do it as it always comes out the length of the longest track in the session.

Here's my problem:
Using David Franz's new book "producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools" I'm using his suggestion of Mastering with Pro Tools.

I have 8 songs saved in stereo wav files on my hard drive. I open a new pro tools session, then I import each song into a stereo track. I create a master track. I tweak each song for volume, eq, compression, etc. When it's ready, Franz's book says to then bounce each song individually to disc as a stereo wav file so you can then use CD burning software to burn your master CD. Problem is when I solo and "select" one song (ie a stero track) and bounce it to disk, the bounce length seems to default to the length of the longest song (track) in the session. Since the longest song (track) in the session is 5 minutes, all the bounced song wav files will be 5 minutes long. This will leave blank space in all the other song's wave files. I can't find the work around for this.

So my question is: How do I get Pro Tools to bounce just one of the tracks and have it only just the length of that track, and not default to the longest track of the session?

I tried highlighting the track to be bounced in the edit window as Franz says, but it still defaults to the length of the longest track.

Thanks, Mark G.