View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 8 input set up with HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
I assume by your signature you are using the XL48 with an RME card. Is that correct?

If so, how is the latency when monitoring? I'm particularly interested in what it's like when recording vocals.

I've pretty much decided on the XL48 but I'm still figuring out whether to get an HD Native card and Omni (maybe a 192 instead) or an RME card.
Monitoring the inputs through the RME card is near-zero latency, but must be managed through the TotalMix application.

Much like other third-party interfaces, you have your choice between low latency monitoring through the driver or higher latency through Pro Tools. Monitoring through Pro Tools at a 64-sample buffer is close enough to zero that I can't really tell the difference, but your drummer might. HD Native wins the latency competition overall, and if price were not a factor then I would be using HD Native right now.

Let me emphasize that the XL48 fan makes noise, and while replacing the fan is easy and inexpensive (the Noctua 40mm fan was $16 and took 20 minutes to install and reassemble) you probably void the warranty by doing so. Installation involves cutting open a plastic "cage" that houses the power supply, and fitting the low noise adapter in there is a bit fussy. When that's done, it's inaudible as long as your rack is full - faceplates blocking the front of it and all. Again, my choice for RME and Midas was made for cost concerns, I determined this combo to be the best band:buck ratio for my use. Also because I use PC and my mobile rig has a <$1K laptop, so no PCIe or Thunderbolt for me.