View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Notation/Score editor unusable with large scoring templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
The score feature added in PT8 is what re-ignited my interest. I am considering buying the cross-grade from Finale to Sibelius, but I wonder if you might be more specific when you state "small, limited scale."
The problem scales with the number of tracks. Opening the score editor takes longer the more tracks you have in the project, even if you only attempt to open one clip. With over 200 tracks in my template, it would open in PT9, but would take a long time. In PT10, it simply locks up PT, so it seems to be worse in 10 than 9. With only a few tracks, it works fine - I wish it did for any number of tracks, and I wish the score editor would only open the selected clip(s) as that might solve part of the problem.

Quote:
I do not envision the 200 MIDI tracks situation you have encountered, but a ceiling is still a ceiling and it would be good to know about it.
I wish there was a threshold, but this, and the tempo editing/record enable bugs both scale with track count (unfortunately, they both seem related in how PT accesses tracks, hence the problem appears to be expanding significantly with this release, rather than improving - hence my comment in the other thread).

You might not have any issues in a project with a dozen or two tracks, but even 50-100 can become problematic (I don't know how this scales with cpu power - a fast i7 might handle it better than my quad, or it might be completely unrelated). It reaches unusable status getting closer to 200 and beyond.

Quote:
HDX is not an option for me at this time, as I am skeptical of the one super-computer running DAWs and samplers in a virtual rewiring setup. But it does appear to be very popular with others possessing $30,000 or more to invest and who are either not concerned with it ever failing, or can afford two or more similar setups in the event of a melt-down.
I completely agree with your thinking. The one-computer option is too risky for me as well - if that one system went down, I would lose business quickly - just losing one of several slaves can cost valuable time. In addition, splitting among two or more systems will spread the processing/disk load better, and you have a backup of sorts, depending on how the two are used/configured.