View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Hackintosh with Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
exactly like I said - - you'll spend more time dinking around with it than you will making money.
Less time than Avid ever took to qualify OS X updates.

Truth be told, I usually don't wait for Avid to give me the okay, I pull the trigger and go forth ...

Out of all the decisions I've made regarding OS X and Apple hardware, the Hackintosh was the best decision ever. My Mac was giving me problems in the middle of sessions making Pro Tools (therefor me) look bad. My Hackintosh smokes anything Mac I've used in the past and have never had a failure.

My Hackintosh has solved all of my Pro Tools issues.

I even stuck one of the white Apple stickers that came with my (now melted) MacBook Pro on the front of my R4 case and am now in compliance with Apple's EULA running OS X on an Apple branded computer. Regardless, of the 3 times I called AppleCare over the last 4 years, I stumped them and never got a resolution. I don't need their support.

On a recent MOTU service call, I explained to the tech that I was running OS X on PC hardware and he was cool with it. We spent 2.5 hours on the phone together diagnosing my problem and it didn't cost me a penny. MOTU support is awesome and real people answer the phone.

I appreciate you think it's troublesome to maintain a Hackintosh, not that long ago, it was, but I'm here to tell you that's just dead wrong now. I'm using the same hardware that Apple uses so there's no messing about with network, video and audio drivers like several OS X releases ago. I've had to do nothing special for OS X updates. I check first, and that doesn't take me anymore time that it does a visit to the DUC (while I'm not making money either).

Last edited by WombatStudio.Org; 03-06-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling