View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Re-reminded that BIOS optimizations are critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
After a quick Google I found a way to set affinity when Pro Tools is being loaded. Google "CPU Affinity Shortcut for a Program - Create in Windows"

For my 8700K i7 system with Pro Tools, I have found that leaving 1 core for the operating system is optimum for best low latency performance - no clicks/pops at 64 buffer when recording 16 audio & 3 Kontakt VIs with midi at 24/96 for over 3 hours.

For example, the command line to start Pro Tools using only 11 of 12 cores for my install:

cmd.e x e /c start "ProTools" /affinity FFE "C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Protools.exe

<remove spaces in ".exe" above - required for posting on duc>

What this does is reserve one processor for the operating system. It seems that at low latency this decreases task switching on the core and thereby reduces CPU spikes - or something like that. If you look at the CPU load in Windows Performance Monitor, at low latency (64 buffer, 24/96) there is steady 10% activity on the released core, so Windows is doing lots of work to get the audio through the ASIO driver. Note, I use a MOTU 1248 interface with USB. At higher buffer settings this is not necessary on my computer.

I do not believe there is an easy way to do this on Macs.
Wow - never heard of this. Anybody else here doing this on their PTools rig?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume