View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Avid

Default Fader Glide & Soft Keys

Let’s take a look at yet another new feature which was introduced in S6 19.5: Fader Glide. This feature was implemented primarily as a way to have an external GPI input trigger one or multiple faders on the surface to glide to a designated level over a specified time range. It’s possible to designate any individual faders, buckets or even the entire surface. And since it is also possible to trigger the Fader Glide from a Surface Soft Key, there are some interesting workflows that are possible by creating and triggering these Soft Key functions when mixing.

For this example I’ve brought up all of my VCA Masters controlling the different food groups by accessing Track Types: VCA within the Right Spill Zone. I’ve created two different Soft Key functions using the LOC switch on the Transport: First, by holding the LOC switch, the entire 2nd Bucket of 8 faders will perform a Fader Glide. If Shift is added while pressing LOC, the Fader Glide will only apply to the first fader in the bank, or Fader Strip #9.

Under the Settings > System you can find the essential parameters for Fader Glide - Fader Start Glide Time and Fader Start Target.

Since I wanted to trigger a Fade Out I set the Fader Start Target to -INF, and for a slower ramp, the Fader Start Glide Time to the maximum of 3 seconds. Obviously there's a number of different settings you can experiment with for the time span and resulting fader values.

Finally, here's the quick video showing the workflow. I can trigger either the entire bucket or an individual fader to fade out over a specified time span by leveraging custom Soft Keys mapped with Fader Glide.

Fader Glide Workflow Example

Jeff
MTRX FAQ