View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Hard Drive Choices in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Booting and opening applications, the difference between SATA SSD and Nvme is negligible, almost the same. It's the increase in access time that helps boot time the most, having to grab lots of different files from the drive. But the difference between a spinner and SATA SSD is absolutely massive.

However, loading sample libraries the speed difference becomes more obvious and beneficial. Of course the trade off, is NVMe storage costs more. Personally, I have NVMe as boot drive, scratch disk for heavy data workloads, along with sample libraries I use on the daily (basically, pt instruments). Then I have a large SSD for samples I don't use as often (Kontakt Library etc), another SSD for current session projects, and then 4x HDD NAS for master backup of files. Don't forget your cloud backup!!!

I just replaced all spinners with SSD, and I agree, the speed difference is wonderful. One laptop that I just bought had 250 Gb NvME drive. I replaced it with a 1 Tb NvME drive. The NvME was just slightly higher priced than the 1Tb SSD drives I used, but is less expensive than, say, Samsung QVO 1Tb drives.

Great to have such inexpensive choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk