View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 AM

Default Re: OK, so here's a serious question for Avid regarding "openness"...

Openness regarding Avid is an interesting issue. Avid was an innovator and world leader in video and film editing. As the undisputed leader in the industry Avid developed the OMF file which unified and standardized digital media. I'd say this was proof of openness - but obviously Avid does what's best for Avid. Avid does not do what's best for you or me.

As an owner of a succession of Avid editing systems I owe a lot to the company. Avid has done great things.

On the other hand, I've sued Avid and arrived at fair settlement.

I don't hold any grudges, Avid has great tools. But products reach end of life. As we know, it's just business. I'm sitting in my office at home looking at an Avid Meridien system. I couldn't now sell the system on eBay for $300 and it had an MSRP of $19,999 when I bought it. It was worth every penny back then - the current moment of technology and the value as a tool for earning money determines the value of professional products. Is the Eleven Rack a professional product? That's the million dollar question.

TieDyedDevil, while I think you are correct that they're using "openness" as a marketing strategy, in the past Avid has set a precedent that they are a world leader and they do promote openness. But unfortunately with the Eleven Rack I don't see enough profit for Avid to spend the type of R&D we Eleven Rack owners would like to see. In order for the Eleven Rack to be fully supported by Avid I think it needs to be a tool in the professional workplace. I don't work in the music industry, I hope someone who does gives their opinion. I think if the Eleven Rack makes inroads into the professional recording studio we'd see advancement. But I don't see it. In the meantime I love the Eleven Rack, it's a fantastic tool.