View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Computer / OS Advice Needed: Using different drives as different "computers"

I'll start off with some basics:
What you are describing is commonly known as a"dual-boot" setup, and yes, they behave as two computers in a way, because they can't really interact; you have to restart to switch from one to the other.

Lots of people have used this technique, myself included, for different reasons. Here in Pro Tools land the most common reason is that you want to separate your PT part from the "everything-else part" for stability reasons, and sometimes to be able to use a older OS for PT and being more current on the other.

Up until earlier this year My 2008 Mac Pro had one disk with PT10 and OSX 10.6.8, and the other had Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra.

You don't have to have external disks, disk in optical drive, and so on, you could actually partition one drive and it will show up as two different drives on the mac, and have different versions of OS on them.

I think your best option is to buy a big enough SSD and install it internally on the MBP. That will give you the best speeds, and make a big difference in restart/boot-times.

Others here will give you more details, I'm shure.