View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Concerning virtual instrument playback

Hi all,

I've been looking in the DUC for an answer to this and so far have come up with nothing.

I'm using PT 12.8.3 on a Windows 7 64bit system with 16GB memory. My projects are about a 70/30 ratio of audio tracks and virtual instrument tracks. I don't really ever use any external MIDI instruments, it's all originating from within Pro Tools.

My trouble is this - When I'm playing back my session and hit STOP, the VIs continue playing out their last note and eventually stop when the note duration would have finished anyway. Likewise, often when I hit PLAY, the VIs will take a few seconds to catch up and play a lot of notes quickly to catch up.

This has cost me a lot of time when I'm doing work that requires a lot of tight edits and playing back repeatedly.

BEFORE you say it, I'm well aware that I can commit the VIs to audio in 12.8.3. However, my preference is to leave them as VIs until the very final mix, in case a MIDI parameter is what really needs tweaking.

So maybe there's a nice fix that can cut off the MIDI notes instantly when I hit STOP? Something I've overlooked?

Thanks much!
Audio Bob