View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Dual monitors issue

It was over 20 years ago that I first used Pro Tools.

I was working for Microsoft in their Multimedia group. Our sound studios were all Mac-based since the PC and Windows were awful for audio and video at that time.

We had been using Digidesign Sound Designer and OSC Deck, and were probably the first place in Seattle to get the new Pro Tools (all 4 tracks!).

Some of us had a good relationship with Digidesign and would evangelize them to develop a Windows version. There was ALWAYS resistance. Eventually they put someone in charge of developing on Windows, but most of his team were contract programmers - meaning Digidesign weren't committing to Windows.

When Pro Tools came out for Windows it was CONSISTENTLY inferior. There were missing capabilities, and an order of magnitude more bugs.

We had a number of meetings with Digidesign management to explore how we could help them improve their Windows support, but they never went anywhere.

It was clear at the time that there was a HUGE cultural bias towards Mac OS, even at the expense of their business.

Today, PT under Windows is miles better than before. However, its obvious to me that there is still bias 'embedded in their DNA' that causes the Windows version to always be 98% of the quality of the Mac version. Close, but no cigar.

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin