View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Composing gig on an older PT system? Possible?

Hi all,

I have an old system, HD Accel, two 192's, Control 24 , Pro tools 6.7 running on a Power Mac G5 tower. I also run an older version of Reason (4.0) slaved. I know, cue sad violins... But it works for me.

It's looking fairly certain that I will have a composing gig for a lower budget cable TV series coming up around September/October of this year.

I am comfortable with this system, and would like to use it for this gig... I'd rather not introduce the variables that come with buggy upgrades and unfamiliar interfaces etc by upgrading (I know I'll have a panic attack if I do that), but most importantly I do not have the financial means to do any kind of upgrade before I start this job.

My question: are there any composers out there working presently with a similar system who are able to interface successfully with their state of the art post departments? Or just anyone who knows if this is feasible? First thing that comes to mind for me will be the ingest of Quicktime video on my end and my older version of QT (limited by power mac 10.4.11) not being able to play the new goods (in which case I would make a conversion with mpeg streamclip or something). But I'm sure there are many other considerations.

Any input/guidance links to resources appreciated. thanks.