View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Intel vs. AMD for Pro Tools

By what you describe, I'd say you have done very well. The best way to benchmark a PT computer is with the Dverb2 test. Go here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 and scroll down part way on the first page for details. Its simply a standardized way of testing Pro Tools so you can either compare numbers with similar rigs(to see if you are in the ballpark) and to compare your system a year from now to see if performance has dropped(indicating some issue to deal with).

Re the intel vs AMD argument, its down to 2 important details; 1-straight up performance(intel wins today), and 2-compatibility(there are some AMD cpu's that simply won't work well, or at all). If you have a solid working AMD rig, that's a good thing. If you are contemplating BUILDING an AMD rig, matching a known-working setup is the safest way to go(being a trail blazer can get expensive). The intel i7 is also not a guarantee of perfection(some socket 1155 and 1156 system don't work well, and my own 1155 i5 build was an abject failure for Pro Tools....but does make a nice office PC). There are 2 combos that are almost guaranteed to work well, and they are; intel i7 socket 1366 9xx/X58 mobo and triple-channel RAM(older but tried and true), and intel socket 2011 i7/X79 mobo and quad-channel RAM. An AMD rig can be a solid performer(you certainly proved that) on a budget(or not). The 2 i7 systems mentioned are proven...period.

Also, consider that each major update to Pro Tools brings more features, but needs more power(my old AMD dual core was great with LE8, but I would not want to try it with 10).

You would be doing a service to those on a budget by posting full details on your system as not everyone can afford an i7 6 core

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave