View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 02:08 PM

Default Re: PT ran out of CPU power. AAE-9173

You can't guess from just a list of manufacturers. But many on your list have had unstable plugins at times, or just demanding... iZotope, Slate, NI. And I've been burnt more than once by a free or demo plugin one old thing left there that I'd forgotten about.

And to be clear that I am not saying finding plugins (if they are even the causes here) is easy. It's never exactly clear how to best troubleshoot plugins in different cases.

When troubleshooting plugins start by showing Pro Tools works well with all the plugins removed. Moving all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and restart Pro Tools... it will automagically put back the standard Pro Tools plugins. Just try running a session with that, even if many of your plugins you would want to use are not installed... but just see if it also fails. Or try creating a new test session and just lay in a pile of standard plugins. You can also try using the Pro Tools demo session... actually running that on a flakey system and seeing if it fails can be useful.. if it fails then remove all .aaxplugins files and test again using the demo session.

And if things works OK with just the stock plugins then add back other plugins (but I prefer to use the latest full installer not just move them back... lets everything get installed cleanly), if it's me I'll first install back the plugins I most need. If you don't need all of them, then leave those out entirely for now and get work done.

While you are testing make sure that ignore errors is not checked and that you are running at a small enough buffer size to trip up errors... that takes some judgement, not so high that errors rarely happen and not so small that they will always happen. That occasional CPU error that you get once a day and kills your work is horrible, but you can't also be testing for a whole day to see if things improve or get worse.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-12-2020 at 07:20 PM.